The Next Big Thing

The lovely Kristyna Litten invited me to join in this blog questionnaire about what books writers and illustrators are currently working on. Some great answers have already been blogged by Krystina and Cate James (really looking forward to seeing more of these books!) Its a lovely idea, especially if you're  like me and enjoy snooping into other people's business.

So here we go:
(The Next Big Thing is the title of the questionnaire, I'm not being overly confident or anything...)

. What is the working title of your next book?

In terms of proper real life paid work, I am just finishing off the illustrations for a lovely book written by the superbly talented Michelle Robinson called "How To Wash A Woolly Mammoth". If I can hand it all in successfully with minimum mistakes you should be able to see in August next year. For now you can look at these very little top secret doodles:


When I have some spare time, I am trying to compile a little book written from the perspective of my one of my sketch book characters, Terrance T. Trump. The working title is "Guide To Being A More Remarkable Bear". I'm hoping to have some very lo fi copies available in my etsy shop some time next year.


. Where did the idea come from for the book?

I have a few story ideas that I don't think I can show publishers without being laughed out of the office, but after Birmingham Zine Festival I thought it would be nice to give them a go myself. I made a silly wee book while I was at university called "Percival Moose's Guide To Life", and it was all quite good fun. Obviously now I look back and think the drawings are all rubbish, so I'm going to give it another spin now I have had 7 years to mature (although this is admittedly debatable…)


. What genre does your book fall under?

Very serious non-fiction self help.


. What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?

I'm a big Gary Oldman fan, but I doubt its really his thing. I imagine whatever production company would be likely to take this on wouldn't have a very large budget, so the cast would probably be lots of people who starred in The-Only-Way-Is-Made-In-Geordie-Something...



. What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?

Winsomely hairy raconteur Terrance T. Trump takes us on an in-depth journey of self discovery, self improvement, and Ursidian etiquette.

. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

It will be self published (on a very small little scale.)

. How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
Not too long. I spent a few evenings going through old sketch books finding bits and bobs of characters which I could put to good use. Its all very loose and rough really. Its nice to have something not too serious to work on when I'm taking an evening or weekend off.

. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

To be perfectly honest I have never really read any self help. My mum bought me the "Jane Austin's Guide To Dating" back in my teens, but its nothing like that. I think if you like daft zines, mammals, and mild manners, then you might enjoy it.


. Who or what inspired you to write this book?

A lot of it is stolen from wise folk I know. My dad always says "never waste a good worry" which I think is quite useful. You might have also noticed a similarity between Terrance T. Trump with Whinne T. Pooh… Sorry Milne.


. What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

I'm very much hoping that people will like the pictures enough to not be too put off by my poor writing skill. It might also be of interest to readers that all proceeds will go towards my heating allowance.


So there you go! Now for me to pass the baton on to 3 more writers. All shall be revealed soon!

1 comment:

  1. Love your illustrations Kate. Nice to 'find' you via Twitter. And nice to know I haven't been the only one glueing pasta shapes to cardboard over the years! (It wasn't only for the kids either!) :)

    ReplyDelete